Custom vs. turn-key sales training and development programs
In today's rapidly evolving business landscape, staying static is a recipe for stagnation. Nowhere is this more evident than in sales—a domain that serves as the frontline of a company's growth and success. Despite the pivotal role sales plays in an organization, some businesses remain hesitant to invest in dedicated sales training. This oversight can be a costly mistake.
Let’s put things into perspective: 42% of sales reps don't feel like they have enough information before making a call. How is your sales team supposed to meet their goals if 4 out of 6 of them are “winging it” when they get on a call with prospects?
The future success of your organization heavily relies on your sales team, so prepare them for tomorrow by training them today. In this article, we break down why professional sales training programs are essential, the pros and cons of turn-key vs. custom sales training programs, and how to train a sales team without building a curriculum yourself.
Why are professional sales training programs important?
Sales can often be viewed as the heartbeat of an organization. As pivotal as this function is, some businesses overlook the importance of equipping their salespeople for success with sales skills development programs—here are several reasons why they’re important.
1. Stay ahead
The sales environment is not static. It shifts with changing customer behaviors, technological advancements, and market dynamics. Professional sales training programs equip teams with the tools to navigate this ever-evolving landscape, ensuring they remain agile and effective.
2. Boost the bottom line
At its most fundamental level, better-trained salespeople close more deals. Enhancing sales proficiencies and soft skills through training can result in reduced sales cycle times, higher average deal values, and increased repeat business.
3. Reduce employee turnover
Being a salesperson can be challenging, and without the right skills, the job can become frustrating, leading to high turnover rates. A well-trained salesperson not only performs better but also gains confidence in their role, making them less likely to quit.
4. Enhance customer relationships
Sales isn’t just about closing deals but building relationships. Training programs teach salespeople to understand customer needs, communicate value, and cultivate trust. This shift from transactional to relational selling results in more loyal customers and long-term business partnerships.
5. Promote consistency
Professional sales training programs ensure new hires and seasoned employees both approach customers with consistent messaging and techniques. This uniformity ensures that the brand's reputation remains solid and customers receive a predictable, high-quality experience.
Sales training isn’t just about teaching salespeople how to sell; it’s about cultivating a mindset, refining skills, embracing modern tools, and, ultimately, driving business success. As the business world becomes more competitive, the question isn't whether you can afford to train your sales team – it's whether you can afford not to.
Turn-key vs. Custom sales training programs
When it comes to sales skills development, you have two primary options: turn-key and custom sales training. Turn-key training is a one-size-fits-all solution for B2B and B2C salespeople, while customized sales training is crafted based on the specific needs, challenges, and goals of an organization.
Let’s look at the pros and cons of each.
Turn-key sales training program
- Quick Implementation: Turn-key programs can be rolled out almost immediately, making them a great fit for organizations that need training solutions now.
- Cost-effective: Generally, buying a pre-made training program is cheaper than developing a customized one from scratch.
- Tried and Tested: Many turn-key solutions are developed by experts and have been refined over time-based on feedback from numerous clients.
- Standardized Content: Good for instilling widely recognized best practices and standard sales techniques.
- Addresses Basic Needs: If your sales team needs training on general sales concepts, turn-key solutions can be a good fit.
- Generic: The content won’t address company-specific products, services, or sales methodologies.
- Lack of Flexibility: Altering content to fit your organization's needs can be challenging or even impossible.
- Possible Redundancy: Some content might be irrelevant, leading to wasted training time.
- Less Engaging: Generic content might not resonate with the sales team, leading to reduced engagement and retention.
Custom sales training program
- Highly Relevant: Content is tailored to your organization’s products, services, market position, and unique challenges.
- Flexible: Allows for changes, adaptations, and updates based on changing business needs or feedback from the sales team.
- Better Engagement: Customized scenarios, case studies, and examples that are relevant to the salespeople's day-to-day experience can increase engagement.
- On brand: The training can be designed to align with the company's brand voice, values, and culture.
- Addresses Specific Challenges: If your sales team faces unique challenges or operates in a niche market, custom training can address these specific issues head-on.
- Higher Initial Cost: A custom-made sales training and development program requires more resources and a larger investment upfront.
- Longer Development Time: It takes time to design, develop, and refine custom training material.
While turn-key solutions provide quick and cost-effective training for generic sales concepts, custom training offers a tailored approach that can drive deeper engagement, address unique challenges, and align closely with the company's specific goals and culture.
Ultimately, the choice between turn-key and custom sales training programs boils down to an organization's specific needs, budget, timeline, and long-term vision for its sales team.
Partner with the best companies for sales training
How to train sales staff beyond the basics requires a custom approach to training. If you want to create an environment where your sales leaders go from “just getting by” to truly thriving, it’s time to invest in a custom sales training program.
As one of the best companies for sales training, Unboxed Training & Technology develops top sales training programs that are completely customized to your organization. From product knowledge to problem-solving, your salespeople will be equipped with the hard and soft skills they need to deliver results and meet their goals.
Ready to give your sales reps the knowledge, skills, and applied behaviors they need to perform in an ever-evolving global and digital economy? Request a demo to learn more about our custom sales training solutions.
Request a sales training demo and learn more about the areas in which Unboxed could help your business.