What do top executive leadership programs entail?
Effective leadership often plays an important role when it comes to the overall success of a company, and a leadership training program for executives will prepare leaders for the challenges ahead. High-performing managers and executives must be able to adapt to industry trends quickly, maintain employee satisfaction, and increase productivity.
Despite evidence suggesting that organizational funds spent on leadership training and development are increasing, only 13% of organizations believe they have done a quality job training their leaders.
To help your executive team build the critical capabilities and skills they need to succeed, introduce an executive training program. But what is a senior leadership training program, and what should be included in an executive leadership development program? That’s what we’ll discuss in this blog.
What is an executive leadership development program?
An executive leadership development program is designed to help high-potential employees acquire the skills and knowledge they need to move into upper-level management positions.
While leadership training for directors, managers, and executives may vary slightly based on the position, most senior leadership training programs center around both hard and soft skills. Hard skills are the technical capabilities necessary to perform job functions, while soft skills are personal attributes that are integral to being an effective leader.
The modern-day executive wears many hats. As a result, leadership development for executives must address numerous challenges faced by any leader in an organization and equip them to power through.
Essential Topics of Leadership Training Programs for Executives
The best executive training programs should provide leaders with the necessary tools to analyze and develop effective strategies, build and manage a team, navigate industry trends, and maintain employee satisfaction. When considering executive leadership training, look for solutions that cover the following topics.
Strategic thinking and planning
Executives must be able to utilize their knowledge and experience to develop strategies that align with the company’s goals and objectives. Quality leadership training for executives will include modules that cover a variety of strategic thinking and planning topics:
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Financial management
- Leadership assessment and development
- Organizational change management
- Performance measurement and evaluation
- Project planning and execution
- Resource allocation
Leadership and management skills
No matter the setting, executives must be able to lead and manage a team effectively. Whether they oversee a board of directors focused on a single project or an entire department, successful executives must be able to manage various tasks and responsibilities.
- Coaching and developing team members
- Conflict management and resolution
- Delegating tasks and assignments
- Motivating staff and inspiring collaboration
- Navigating difficult conversations
- Performance reviews for teams and individuals
Communication and interpersonal skills
If teams are to thrive, top executive leadership programs must include content that teaches key communication and interpersonal skills that enhance company culture while ensuring all employees feel heard and equipped to succeed.
- Active listening and feedback
- Cross-cultural communication
- Effective public speaking and presentations
- Leading difficult conversations
- Networking and relationship-building
- Professional written communications
- Working with stakeholders and board members
Now, why are learning these leadership skills important?
Why is leadership training and development important?
For the L&D leader in charge of sourcing the best corporate training programs, consider these five benefits of leadership training and development.
- Engages employees. When employees are disengaged, they are less productive, the quality of their work suffers, and they become dissatisfied with their jobs. Good leaders are engaging. They motivate employees and encourage collaboration to improve team performance.
- Increases productivity. When employees are engaged, they are more productive. Great leaders empower their employees to do their best work instead of micromanaging them. Studies show that when people feel a sense of autonomy in how they carry out their work, they’re more productive.
- Reduces turnover. Several studies have suggested that fair treatment by a supervisor is the most important determinant of retention. Leadership training for directors and other key leaders teaches interpersonal skills that combat bias, reduce turnover, and create a better work environment.
- Prepares employees for promotions. Why go through the process (and expense) of hiring a brand new employee when you can develop leaders within your organization? Leadership training and development programs prepare existing employees to become influential leaders.
- Improves communication. A recent study found that 63% of Millennials believed those in leadership failed to communicate properly and help them flourish within their roles. The best executive leadership training programs emphasize the importance of effective, emotionally intelligent communication.
Launch leadership training for executives, leaders, and managers
The right executive leadership training program can have a major impact on an organization’s success. By investing in training and development for leaders, companies will see increases in productivity, higher retention rates, more engagement, and create a better pool of talent to choose from when it’s time for a promotion.
At Unboxed, we have two types of leadership training and development programs:
- Custom training. Our management and leadership training solution is custom-built to meet your organization’s unique needs. You’ll collaborate with our team to create a program that inspires employees to become effective managers and leaders.
- Turn-key training. Need to launch your leadership training ASAP? Unboxed ReadySet Training™ delivers a unique, scalable learning experience that you can implement today.
Send us a short note to set up a one-on-one demo and see examples of our leadership training. Our team is standing by.